Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements

As a condition of receiving financial aid at Kaua'i Community College students must demonstrate and maintain satisfactory academic progress towards the achievement of an associate degree or certificate.

Follow these steps to look up your Financial Aid academic status in your MyUH portal:

  • Log into your My UH Portal at MyUH
  • Click "View My Financial Aid Information"
  • "Accept" Academic disclaimer
  • Click "Academic Progress"
  • Select Kaua'i Community College and the appropriate school year and click "Submit"
  • Click Academic Progress tab to view your status

Please click on the tabs below for more information

Federal regulations require that a student receiving financial aid under the Title IV programs make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) in accordance with the standards set by the home campus, University of Hawai’i Community Colleges and the US Department of Education pursuant to 34 CFR 668.34. The law and federal regulations require that progress be determined using both qualitative and quantitative measures.

Financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy is separate and distinct from the institution’s academic progress policy. All credits attempted in any semester of enrollment at the student’s home campus, regardless of aid status, will be counted when calculating all measures of satisfactory academic progress.

In order to be eligible for financial aid the student must meet specific academic requirements. Financial aid calculations for GPA, as well as, credits earned and attempted includes all home campus and transfer coursework ever taken. These calculations may be different from what the student sees on their academic transcript. The minimum academic requirements and the student’s current status can be viewed in their MyUH Services portal.

Student’s academic progress will be evaluated annually. For students placed on Probation and have Academic Plan requirements, satisfactory academic progress will be evaluated at the end of every payment period.

For students in certificate programs that are less than 24 credits, academic progress will be evaluated at the end of every term.


  • Only classified students enrolled in courses applicable to their primary major are eligible for financial assistance.
  • Students must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0.
    The grade point average (GPA) is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of credits attempted.  Courses for which grades of “W," “L,” “CE,” “CR,” “NC," "NCE," or “N” were recorded are not included in computing the GPA. Grade points are assigned as follows:
    A - 4 points per credit 
    B - 3 points per credit 
    C - 2 points per credit 
    D - 1 point per credit 
    F - 0 point per credit
  • A student must maintain "pace" by completing at least 67% of the cumulative credits attempted.

668.34(a)(5) | 668.34(b)

Pace (Completion Rate)
Students must successfully pass/complete at least 67% of all credits attempted (calculation will be rounded down to the nearest percent).

  • Grades: The following grades will be considered as credits attempted but not earned: Failing (F), No Credit (NC), No Grade (N), Withdrawal (W), Incomplete (I), Record Delayed (RD).
  • Incomplete Grades: An incomplete grade will be calculated as no credit earned until it reverts to a letter grade and is posted to the student’s academic record. The Registrar’s Office will notify the Financial Aid Office of any changes to Incomplete grades. Students may also contact the Financial Aid Office when a grade changes, once it is posted to their academic record.
  • Audit: Audited classes are not eligible for financial aid and will not be counted towards credits attempted or completed.
  • Credit by Exam: Credit by exam (CE) will be counted as credits attempted and completed.
  • Credit/No Credit Option - Under the option, a student will be granted a “CR” grade (credit) which indicates that a grade of “C” or higher was achieved, or an “NC” grade (no credit). A "CR" will be counted as attempted and completed. A "NC" grade will be counted as attempted but not completed.
  • Transfer Credits: All transfer credits will be counted as credits attempted and completed.
  • Repeat Courses:
    • Students who repeat a course for which they have already earned a passing grade may be allowed to receive funding to repeat that course only ONCE.
    • All repeat courses will count as credits attempted and earned (if passed) which may be different from the institution’s academic progress policy.
  • Concurrent Enrollment Courses:
    • Concurrent enrollment courses taken at another campus that are “completed” will be factored into the completion rate when the courses are transferred into the student’s home campus. 
    • Concurrent enrollment courses that are not completed/earned but have been included towards the student’s financial aid credit load will be counted as an attempted but not completed credit(s) towards your completion rate.
  • Administrative Withdrawal Credits: Administrative Withdrawal credits may be counted as attempted but not completed credit(s)
  • Academic Renewal: Any credits forgiven through academic renewal will still be counted as credits attempted for credit completion rate.

Maximum Time Frame
Students must complete their degree program within 150% of the credits required for their degree program. All attempted credits previously mentioned will be applied towards a student’s time frame. Students who are unable to complete their program and achieve minimum SAP standards by the end of their timeframe may be determined ineligible for financial aid.

  • Change of Major: Students may choose to change their major at any time, however, all credits previously attempted at the college and accepted transfer credits will be counted in their new major and resulting maximum time frame.
  • Remedial/Developmental credits: A student is allowed 30 remedial English and Math credits that are not counted towards the maximum time frame. 
  • English as a Second Language: ESL credits are not counted against the time frame. 
  • Transfer Credits: All credits will be factored into the maximum time frame 
  • Non-applicable Program Credits: Non-applicable credits to a student’s current major may be factored into the maximum time frame. 
When a student completes a degree at the home campus, the student may continue receiving financial aid for a second or subsequent degree. Students must complete and submit a Financial Aid Subsequent Degree Completion Form to the Financial Aid Office. Please contact your home campus Financial Aid Office for deadlines.”

668.34(a)(9), (c)(3)(ii),(iii), (d)(2)(ii),(iii) | 668.42(c)(2)(ii)

Students who do not meet the minimum standards for academic progress or have exceeded the allowable maximum time frame will not be eligible to receive financial aid.

Reinstatement of Financial Aid

To reinstate eligibility, a student must meet all three of the following conditions:

  1. Have a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.0. 
  2. Complete at least 67% of all credits attempted (includes all credits reflected on the transcript). 
  3. Be able to graduate within the 150% time frame allowed by Federal regulations.

A student who is not maintaining satisfactory academic progress and has a status of Financial Aid Suspension may appeal their status by completing the appeals process. Appeals should only be submitted for situations that are exceptional, generally beyond the student's control, and non-recurring in nature. Appeals should explain why the student failed to make satisfactory academic progress and what has changed in the situation that will allow the student to demonstrate progress at the next evaluation.

Students are required to meet with both the Financial Aid Counselor to review their appeal application, and their Academic Advising Counselor to create an academic plan. Contact 808.245.8212 to make appointments with both counselors. Follow-up academic counseling appointments may be required as a condition of the appeal.

All appeals must be made in writing, with supporting documentation when required, on the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form.

A student’s appeal will not be considered if they are unable to meet the minimum cumulative academic standards (2.00 cumulative GPA and 67% cumulative completion rate) by the end of their financial aid timeframe.

Academic Probation
If an appeal is approved, the student is placed on Financial Aid Probation and given academic requirements to complete per semester until they meet the overall Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements. The academic conditions will be monitored after every payment period. Students who do not meet the academic conditions will be suspended and ineligible for financial aid. Students are notified of their suspension status via their UH email.

Academic Plan
Student’s with an approved appeal will be placed on a Financial Aid Probation status and be required to meet with a Financial Aid Advisor to discuss academic requirements of their plan. For students with an Academic Plan, the Financial Aid Office will review their progress at the end of each payment period. Students will be notified of any updates to their academic standing via UH email.

Every semester there is a deadline to submit appeals. Any appeals turned in after that deadline will only be considered for a future semester. Please see the Financial Aid Office for the deadline date.  Additional appeals during subsequent semesters may be allowed, however only for extremely extenuating circumstances will the subsequent appeals be approved.
  • A student on financial aid suspension who successfully appeals the suspension will be in a financial aid probation status.
  • During the probationary period, students are eligible to receive financial aid.
  • At the end of the probationary semester, a student must either:
    • be making satisfactory academic progress; or
    • be meeting the conditions of their academic plan
  • If the student is not making satisfactory academic progress but is successfully following the established academic plan, the student would continue to be eligible for aid in subsequent semesters provided that the student continues to meet the established academic plan.
  • A student on financial aid probation that is neither making satisfactory academic progress nor successfully following their established academic plan at the end of the probationary semester will be placed on financial aid suspension for future semesters. Additional appeals during subsequent semesters may be allowed, however only for extremely extenuating circumstances will the subsequent appeals be approved.