Veterans Enrolling

Enrolling in College can be a bit daunting. The documents listed below will help with step-by-step instructions.
Best of all, come to our Veterans' Support Center to make use of the experience and knowledge of the Student Veteran staff who will walk you through the complete process! We are here to help you! 

Veterans’ Support Center
Veteran Support Counselor- Alicia Sams
Phone: 808-245-8317

Please click on the tab below to expand to read

Step 1A:  Submit the online UH System Application

  • If you are a Hawaii resident or an active duty military member or eligible dependent stationed in Hawaii, there is no application fee.
  • If you are a  veteran or an individual  eligible to use VA (Veterans Affairs) educational benefits and live in Hawaii, there is no application fee and you may qualify to pay resident tuition rates.
  • Application deadlines (may be subject to change):
    • Fall term: August 1
    • Spring term: December 15
  • Students using VA benefits must declare a major or select an approved program of study to receive benefits. See WEAMS for a complete list of approved programs.

If you need help choosing a program of study, please schedule an appointment with Career Counselor at or 808-245-0132. For more information, visit the Career Center.

Step 1B: Apply for VA Education Benefits

Step 2:  Check Your Acceptance Email

An acceptance letter from Kauai CC will be sent to the email address you listed on your application. If you did not receive an acceptance letter, please contact In your acceptance letter, there is more information about your next steps.

Step 3:  Get a UH Username

Upon acceptance, you can create a UH Account by visiting: Click on “Get a UH Username!” and complete the Check Status Form. Your UH Username is your personal identification for accessing MyUH online services, including registration, email and your academic records.

Your username followed by “” (e.g., will be your UH email address. It is important to check this email often as it serves as the official means of communication within the UH system.

Step 4: Submit Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

A copy of your COE must be submitted to the VA School Certifying Officials (Admissions & Records Office) at Students receiving the following VA benefits must submit the COE: 

  • Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 and Post 9/11 - Transfer to Dependents)
  • Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty)
  • Chapter 35 (Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance)
  • Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve)

Students receiving the following VA educational benefits are not required to submit the COE: 

For questions contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: 1-888-442-4551.

Step 5: Request Transcripts

Step 6:  Apply for Financial Aid

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online and visit the Financial Aid website for more information on grants, student loans, and scholarships.

Step 7: Placement/Assessment

Complete the UHCC EdReady Placement/Readiness or call the Counseling Office at (808) 245-8212 to discuss placement options.

Step 8:  Health Clearances

Health requirements need to be cleared in order to register for in-person or hybrid classes.

 Step 9:  Academic Advising/Registration of Classes

An academic advisor will help you select classes, register, and explore career options. Academic advising is required for all incoming first year students . To schedule an appointment, contact the Student Counseling Office at (808) 245-8212 or schedule online. Please complete the Intake Survey before your appointment.

Step 10:  VA Enrollment Certification Form

After you have registered for classes, complete the VA Enrollment Certification Form and submit it to the Admissions & Records Office at

  • The VA Enrollment Certification Form does not apply to those using Tuition Assistance funds.
  • The VA Enrollment Certification Form needs to be completed at the beginning of EACH semester. 

Step 11:  Purchase Books

Books may be purchased at the Kauai Community College Bookstore in person or online.

  • IDAP charges tend to be applied after classes start and are to be paid with your book stipend.

Step 12:  New Student Orientation

Students must attend a New Student Orientation to learn about program requirements and services available to them. New student orientation is available online or in-person.

  • Contact Veteran Support Counselor, Alicia Sams (808-245-8317, to schedule a tour of the Veterans’ Support Center on campus.

The Career Center provides free resources to assist you from the beginning to the end of your academic journey!  We help you prepare for academic and career success by helping you learn about yourself, explore career options for degrees, make career choices, prepare for the changing employment market and carry out education and career plans.

For a full list of questions and answers regarding your VA education benefits go to   

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at