Frequently Asked Question (EIMT)

When do the classes start? 

Classes for new students begin only in the Fall semester. If you start in the Spring semester, you will be taking your support classes such as Math, English and other general education requirements. ETRO 18 is taught spring semester and may be taken in place of EIMT 21 

How long will I have to wait to get into the program? 

Currently there are no waiting list for the EIMT program. It is suggested that you start your program in the Fall of the year and if you follow the suggested outline you will complete in four (4) semesters. 

Will you accept credits from other campuses? 

We will accept credits from other campuses but only credits that are applicable for the program. If you would like to transfer credits to Kauai CC, you will need to submit a "Transfer Evaluation Request Form", which can be obtained from the Records Office and have your official transcripts sent to our Records Office. If you would like to transfer credits from a college within the University of Hawaiʻi system, you will only need to submit a "Transfer Evaluation Request Form" because your transcript can be viewed on-line by the evaluator. 

Will completing the program at Kaua’i CC help me get into the Electrical Union? 

No. However, once you are accepted into the Union, your degree at Kaua’i CC will be reviewed by the IBEW 1186 for credit towards classroom hours on individual basis in the apprenticeship program.

How many Electrical Unions are there on Kaua’i? 

There are two electrical unions on Kaua’i. The IBEW Local 1186 represents alarm and signal, cable television, electrical equipment services, government, construction electricians, marine, sound and public access, and radio-television service workers. IBEW Local 1260 represents utility workers (KIUC). Maintenance electrician generally represented by Local 5 (HARRIETT).

What kind of electrical work will the program prepare me for? 

After completing the program, you can choose a career as a construction electrician or a maintenance electrician in either IBEW 1186, non-union contractors, or maintenance in the local tourism industry. Program graduates are also employed as electrical workers by Hawaiian Electric, KIUC, Hawaiian Telecom, Spectrum Cable, Hotels, City & County of Kaua’i, State of Hawaiʻi and the Federal Government. 

What is the difference between a construction electrician and a maintenance electrician? 

A construction electrician installs residential, commercial, and industrial electrical systems. A maintenance electrician keeps the electrical systems and equipment in good working order after they have been installed. 

Is there an advantage to completing the electrical program at Kaua’i CC instead of directly entering the Electrical Union? 

The advantage is that oftentimes the unions, private or government employers may recruit for apprentices through Kaua’i CC because students already have the basic knowledge and skills needed to perform entry level work. 

Are there any evening classes? 

Yes. EIMT 21, EIMT 23; EIMT 33 and EIMT 51 are taught for both working electricians and for those in the Facility Engineering Program on Tuesday and Thursday nights. These courses can be taking for credit or noncredit leading into a certificate of competency meeting the minimum education requirements for Hawai'i' Professional and Vocational Licensure HRS 448E-5.

What kind of degree can I get after I complete the program? 

You can earn either a Certificate of Competency (CO), Certificate of Achievement (CA) or an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree. 

What is the difference between a Certificate and an Associate degree? 

The difference is the number of credits required for each. The Associate degree requires an additional Math class, English class and three general education classes for a total of 16 additional credits. 

How long will it take for me to earn an Associate degree? 

It will take two years once you start the electrical classes if you take 15 credits or more per semester. 

Will I be able to finish the Certificate of Achievement in a shorter time since I will be taking less credits? 

No. It will still take two years. Electrical classes cannot be combined. They must be taken in the order it is offered because the classes are progressive and build on the prior semester classes. 

Can I get a Certificate of Achievement and then later come back to get my Associate in Applied Science degree? 

Yes. Many students get their Certificate, go to work for a few years and then return to complete the additional credits to earn their Associate degree. 

Do my credits expire after a specified number of years? 

No. Your credits never expire but the program requirements may change over the years. 

What kind of tools will I need to buy for the program? 

Your instructor will give you a tool list when you start. The approximate cost which includes books is approximately $650.