Welcome to The Medical Assisting Program at Kaua'i Community College!
The Medical Assisting Program is designed to prepare students to assist physicians and APRNs (Advanced Practical Registered Nurses) in private medical offices and out patient clinics with patient care as well as routine office laboratory and diagnostic tests. Students are also prepared to perform administrative medical office and business practices and procedures.
Students will earn a Certificate of Achievement (CA) upon completion of the program. The Administrative Medical Assisting program will prepare students to assist healthcare providers in private medical offices and outpatient clinics. Students will be prepared in administrative, financial, and business medical office practices and healthcare operations. Students will earn a Certificate of Competence (CO) upon completion of the program.
Program Admission Requirements:
Students will be admitted as a cohort in the fall semester each year. The program application period will be open from December 1 through February 1. All pre requisite courses must be completed prior to entry. Acceptance will be on a first applied, first qualified basis. Progression onto the spring semester will require a “C” or higher in all required MEDA program courses in the fall.
PROGRAM STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Demonstrate effective communication skills with all members of the healthcare team (affective).
- Demonstrate ethical and legal behavior to maintain patient safety and confidentiality (affective).
- Apply medical office business, financial and administrative concepts and practices (cognitive).
- Apply critical thinking skills and concepts of medical assisting to maintain quality patient care and efficient administrative procedures (cognitive).
- Perform clinical and administrative medical assisting skills appropriate for entry-level practice in an ambulatory care setting (psychomotor).
GUIDED PATHWAYS TO COMPLETION
Please click on the degree or certificate name to expand the tab to read
Medical Assisting Certificate of Achievement (CA), 43-44 credits
Spring Semester 1
- ENG 100 - Composition I (3 credits)
- HLTH 140 - Introduction to Human Body Systems and Related Medical Terminology (3 credits)
- ACC 124 - Principles of Accounting I (3 credits) OR BIOL 100- Human Biology(3 credits) OR HWST 107 Hawaii:Center of the Pacific(3 credits)
- Diversification (DS): Any DS course (3 credits)
- Mathematics: MATH 75X or higher (3-4 credits)
Fall Semester 2
- MEDA 105 - Introduction to Medical Assisting (3 credits)
- MEDA 120 - Clinical Medical Assisting I (3 credits)
- MEDA 120L Clinical Medical Assisting I Lab (1 credit)
- MEDA 143 - Administrative Medical Assisting I (3 credits)
- MEDA 143L Administrative Medical Assisting I Lab (1 credit)
- MEDA 150 - Medical Assisting Science (4 credits)
- MEDA 176 - Administration of Medications (3 credits)
- MEDA 176L Administration of Medications Lab (1 credit)
Spring semester 3
- MEDA 123 - Clinical Medical Assisting II (3 credits)
- MEDA 123L Clinical Medical Assisting II Lab (1 credit)
- MEDA 165 - Administrative Medical Assisting II (2 credits)
- MEDA 201 - Medical Law and Ethics (2 credits)
- MEDA 210 - Medical Assisting Certification Review (1 credit)
- MEDA 220 - Medical Assisting Externship (4 credits)
Total credits 43-44