Welcome to The Medical Assisting Program at Kaua'i Community College!
The Medical Assisting Program is designed to prepare students to assist physicians and APRNs (Advanced Practical Registered Nurses) in private medical offices and out patient clinics with patient care as well as routine office laboratory and diagnostic tests. Students are also prepared to perform administrative medical office and business practices and procedures.
Students will earn a Certificate of Achievement (CA) upon completion of the program. In Hawaii, employers often require MAs to have graduated from an accredited program. National certification as a MA is required.
Professional Licensure Program
The KauCC MEDAP Program prepares students for national certification. It is common for employers and physicians to require medical assistants to possess specific education, training, and/or national certification. If you are not residing in the state of Hawaii and are taking a Kauai Community College (KauCC) online course or program leading to professional certification or licensure, KauCC cannot confirm whether the course or program meets your state’s professional certification or licensure requirements. Please verify with the appropriate certification or licensing board in the state you intend to practice.
PROGRAM STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Demonstrate effective communication skills with all members of the healthcare team (affective).
- Demonstrate ethical and legal behavior to maintain patient safety and confidentiality (affective).
- Apply medical office business, financial and administrative concepts and practices (cognitive).
- Apply critical thinking skills and concepts of medical assisting to maintain quality patient care and efficient administrative procedures (cognitive).
- Perform clinical and administrative medical assisting skills appropriate for entry-level practice in an ambulatory care setting (psychomotor).
GUIDED PATHWAYS TO COMPLETION
The MEDA program is a fully accredited competency based program. Students are required to meet all the competencies outlined in the Core Curriculum for Medical Assistants as determined by the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB).
Please click on the degree or certificate name to expand the tab to read
Medical Assisting Certificate of Achievement (CA), 43-44 credits
Spring Semester 1
- ENG 100 - Composition I (3 credits)
- HLTH 140 - Introduction to Human Body Systems and Related Medical Terminology (3 credits)
- HWST 107 Hawaii:Center of the Pacific (3 credits)
- Diversification (DS): Any DS course (3 credits)
- Mathematics: MATH 75X or higher (3-4 credits)
Fall Semester 2
- MEDA 105 - Introduction to Medical Assisting (3 credits)
- MEDA 120 - Clinical Medical Assisting I (2 credits)
- MEDA 120L Clinical Medical Assisting I Lab (1 credit)
- MEDA 143 - Administrative Medical Assisting I (2 credits)
- MEDA 143L Administrative Medical Assisting I Lab (1 credit)
- MEDA 150 - Medical Assisting Science (4 credits)
- MEDA 176 - Administration of Medications (2 credits)
- MEDA 176L Administration of Medications Lab (1 credit)
Spring Semester 3
- MEDA 123 - Clinical Medical Assisting II (2 credits)
- MEDA 123L Clinical Medical Assisting II Lab (1 credit)
- MEDA 165 - Administrative Medical Assisting II (2 credits)
- MEDA 201 - Medical Law and Ethics (2 credits)
- MEDA 205 - Medical Assisting Certification Review (1 credit)
- MEDA 220 - Medical Assisting Preceptorship (4 credits)
Total credits 43-44